Week 6--Mail Sorting Challenge. I hope that this one will become a DAILY challenge, so that mail, papers and bills do not overwhelm you. I do these things each day and when I follow this system, I no longer have piles of paperwork laying around.
Step 1--When bringing in the mail (daily), immediately shred and dispose of junk mail, unwanted credit card offers, etc. IMMEDIATELY!
Step 2--Gather bills, invitations and other needed mail into one small box, basket or folder. Arrange by ...due date, placing the ones that are due the soonest in the front. (*I also use a small calendar to keep bill due dates straight, this helps me to pay them on time*)
Step 3--Keep a small basket with current, relevant magazines or publications. Throw away old ones, or donate to the children's museum, library, offices, etc.
Step 4--Unsubscribe to any publication that you no longer wish to receive. (Good luck with colleges, etc. You may ask to be removed from those mailing lists and they may keep sending the publications. I think it is such a WASTE, but if I ask them to and they refuse, it's their waste and I cannot feel guilty about throwing it away!)
Step 5--File coupons, rebates and other offers in a location where you will see them again. BE SURE TO USE THEM BEFORE THEY EXPIRE! (*an entire post will one day be devoted to clipping and organizing coupons!*)
Step 6--Once a bill is paid, shred the remaining paperwork. This is for any bill that can be tracked online. For bills that cannot be tracked, file paperwork as soon as the bill is paid.
Step 7--File all legal documents (birth certificates, social security cards, car titles, etc.) in one folder that is easy to find by you and your spouse.
Step 8--Use a decorative photo box, small hanging file box, etc. to file away special sentimental keepsakes (cards, wedding announcements and programs, graduation announcements, funeral programs, Christmas letters and photos. ( *I will post a project for some of these at a later date!*)
If you follow these simple steps, day by day, the piles will not grow to overtake you!
No comments:
Post a Comment